What are some good PM goals you set for the year?

What are some good (and measurable) PM goals / targets to set for yourself for the year?

5 Likes

One user interview per week. Two assumption validations per week. Pick a practice you want to popularize and X number of that.

5 Likes

@AmyWalker. How do you find users to interview?

5 Likes

Automate your interviewing. I recommend Teresa Torres continuous discovery habits for more detail. Prompt in your product with asks for interviewees, recruit through sales etc.

5 Likes

The course looks interesting. Have you read her book? If yes, how does the course compare?

5 Likes

The course is a chance to practice the content in the book. If you’ve read the book you got most of the content but what’s super valuable is practicing it and. Getting detailed and thoughtful feedback.

5 Likes

How do you structure your interviews?

5 Likes

I am not in a position to do pure CDH yet, but it I have been interviewing. My interviews are story based. Because the discovery is somewhat decoupled from the delivery, the interview structure is mostly consistently with perhaps some follow up questions to dig deeper where I have a particular assumption of interest I could invalidate.

4 Likes

Alcohol per Day is a solid KPI

THC per Day is a solid one too, but there may be some upstream constraints depending on your market

Adjusted cries per hour is one I’ve had great success with in the past, my key stakeholders love it

Cumulative Slack messages with an average Slack message count YoY is a good indicator of product things as well

2 Likes
  • Hit the day-to-day, month-to-month KPI targets for product(s) is obvious #1.
  • Look around the corners and see if there’s an order of magnitude type opportunity. Find it! (or them.) And see if the curve can be really bent, not just kind of grow.
  • Complete at least 3 reasonably rigorous training courses. That is, not just the usual PM book or blog… but full on certification depth level in stats or code or something. Not for the cert or the badge… this isn’t for linkedin badge candy… but just to get better.
2 Likes

To successfully pivot to a PM role. The biggest hurdle for me is product thinking and cracking those cases.

1 Like

Closer to full implementation of 4-In-The-Box! Better collaboration and breaking down silos.