Tips for interviews

People have had multiple PM internships, and they get through multiple round interviews for PM or APM but just don’t get the offer. Any advice ? Perhaps, were there any parts of your experience that seemed to distinguish yourself as a candidate when you were interviewing ?

5 Likes

It’s a competitive market, and you are so close to getting it ! I know this is more generic advice, but generally I reach out to interviewers / recruiters after I don’t move on in the process and ask for feedback in a kind manner. If they don’t respond, then it is what it is, but sometimes you’ll find someone who has the time to share if someone else answered the design question slightly better than you.This field is all about the relationships you build. I encourage you to reach out and hopefully you’ll get some answers / feedback.

5 Likes

If you don’t get a response, move on, and keep applying to other companies. Never relax until you have a firm offer! If you don’t end up getting another interview — or the job offer, try to follow-up with the interviewer to get feedback — specifically, why another candidate was a better fit.

4 Likes

Since you are getting multiple interview calls, means your you have an upper hand on your internship. But not getting an offer after the interview, the answer could be that there are certain things in your presentation that are making the interviewer question you regarding the skill sets you claim to have or perhaps even personality disconnects that they feel do not make you an optimal candidate. Maybe it’s simple things such as your tone of voice, lack of eye contact, a sloppy handshake, inconsistencies in your answers, or your thought processes when answering questions.

3 Likes

That has happened to me many times. My response became to contact the interviewer afterwards to ask: “I would appreciate it if you could offer any tips on how I could have improved how I interviewed? I just want to make sure that I am doing everything I can to present myself well.” I have done this many times. And have gotten meaningful information, including responses that were along the lines of "you were a strong candidate. There was someone who had more specific experience with some product/system/etc. While frustrating to hear, especially frequently; it keeps you from picking yourself apart negatively after the interview. This practice already exists in the professional world. And while you may think it strange, most interviewers will offer some feedback. Treat what they say as potential opportunities to grow and improve your game. Anything that doesn’t sound true; take it with a grain of salt. Thank the person for their time, be brief and thank them again: even if they don’t really help you. Technically, it’s another impression that might end up keeping you in mind for another opportunity. Another positive impression may help keep your resume towards the top of the pile for next time.

2 Likes

There is something known as luck which matters a lot. Make sure you are fit for the role you are applying. Introspect and find your strengths, drive your interview. Add details to your resume which you want recruiters to see, augment your strengths in that.

1 Like

This would be a great question for you to send to the interviewer after each interview. It’s standard practice for people to send a thank you letter the day of or the day after an interview (as good manners). But it’s also standard to send a letter when you’ve been notified you were not selected. You thank them for their time, ask them to keep you in mind if the successful candidate does not work out or if another similar position comes open, and you ask them specifically if they can provide feedback to you on areas you can improve to increase your marketability.