Product Managers in the US Federal government

Do federal agencies in the US recruit product managers? If so,

• What do they (PMs) work on?

• How does it compare to the private sector?

• How long does it take to get hired?

15 Likes

Federal agencies do recruit product managers for various projects and initiatives. The roles and responsibilities of a product manager in the federal sector may differ from those of a product manager in the private sector, depending on the agency and the project. Generally, federal product managers work on projects that benefit the public, such as infrastructure, healthcare, and defense. The hiring process for federal jobs may take longer than in the private sector due to security clearance requirements and other regulations. Additionally, federal product managers may need to navigate complex bureaucratic structures and adhere to strict budgetary constraints. Despite these challenges, working in the federal sector can offer unique opportunities for making a meaningful impact on society.

14 Likes

Yes, federal agencies in the United States do recruit product managers for various roles within their organizations. While the specific titles and job descriptions may vary, product management roles can be found in federal agencies that develop and maintain software applications, digital services, and other technology-based solutions.

The responsibilities of a product manager in the federal government can include:

1. Identifying user needs and requirements: Product managers work closely with stakeholders, including end users and government officials, to understand their needs and translate them into product requirements.
  2. Developing product roadmaps: They create and manage product roadmaps, outlining the vision, goals, and timeline for the development and enhancement of digital products or services.
  3. Collaborating with cross-functional teams: Product managers work with multidisciplinary teams, including developers, designers, testers, and subject matter experts, to ensure the successful delivery of the product.
  4. Prioritizing features and enhancements: They make informed decisions about feature prioritization based on user feedback, resource availability, and strategic objectives.
  5. Managing product lifecycle: Product managers oversee the entire product lifecycle, from concept development to deployment, maintenance, and continuous improvement.

To explore product management opportunities within federal agencies, you can visit official government job websites like USAJOBS or individual agency websites. Additionally, networking with professionals in the federal government or leveraging online platforms that connect job seekers with federal opportunities can be helpful in finding relevant openings.

13 Likes

Yes. In my limited experience, it is not all that different from private. There still are “CEOs,” but they are agencies not people. There are still awful managers out there who can sabotage your career and good ones who can make you feel fortunate to be employed. There are still measurements, but they tend to be less focused on revenue.

Bootstrapping and the caliber of your product team are, in my opinion, the two most difficult aspects of Fed PM.

The former because most innovative and intriguing technologies are blacklisted, and not all vendors or SaaS are acceptable for use. You have discovered a specialized piece of software to address a challenging data problem. It is unfortunate that you have to use a product that is 20 years old and has not been updated in 5 years.

The latter since it is sustained by work is alive and dead by contractors. Additionally, contracts are always up to competition, and your preferred agency may be changed without justification by one that is vastly inferior.

You may have also heard a lot about bureaucracy and red tape. That is overstated in my opinion, or at the very least, it is not what you anticipate. Although federal work naturally progresses more slowly than private work, interagency dependencies and security clearances are the actual roadblocks.

So while both Fed and private PM jobs include some element of luck, I would say Fed work has a lot more moving parts. I consider myself quite fortunate to be in my current position, yet anything could change, such as a new manager or presidential administration.

Good Luck.

12 Likes

A friend of mine was a PM at US Digital Services for a while. He mentioned that certifications were required for government work on the east coast, which as a west coast-based pm astonished me.

11 Likes

@AmyWalker, Certificates in… what exactly.

flips open wallet like FBI agent

Peep this License to Product :wink:

10 Likes

Yes, it does. Additionally, there are two sides to every story: contractors who work directly for the government on federal contracts. I will share my own experience because I spent a good 6-7 years working on the contractor side of the federal space.

The work CAN be really interesting, however your users are very vociferous about their extreme technological ignorance. This is also incredibly cruel, because the average government employee is really not that great, therefore your coworkers will be awful. Our government is supported by about 10% A players. They dislike change, although depending on the agency you are working with, this culture can vary. Defense has some positive aspects, but it is quite difficult to find happiness in the public sector. Although I have not worked with intelligence, I have heard good things.

Benefits are better on the government side, but compensation in the private sector is still superior.

Since nobody wants to go there, it is actually quite simple to enter.

My advice in a nutshell, look in the DoD.

9 Likes

“Good enough for government work” was a phrase used when I worked in these areas. That was code for, “I phoned this in, but everyone else is phoning it in, so it is more than acceptable.”

I also wanted to mention that some processes can go extremely slowly. Ex: If you want to change a policy, you must work with a committee, make it available for public comment, consider the comments, and if the policy is poor, you must hire a consultant to review it and provide feedback. The committee must then review the consultant’s report, make one sentence of changes, and implement the new policy in time to be reviewed for updates a year later.

8 Likes

That same sentence has actually come from a govie before, lol. It is just something that everyone says, to be honest.

Although I have not experienced policy changes myself, I have heard horror stories. I eventually left there, though I do have good recollections. However, while the Fortune 500 is cool and all, they are also painfully slow. I worked at a startup, and once my life is more secure, I plan to return and try to replicate that high.

7 Likes

USAJOBS - Search

6 Likes

@MelissaJames, And I thought normal users were dumb. I can’t imagine trying to build a product for these guys.

5 Likes

US Digital Service is a good shout for this. Bit more modern than working in a traditional department / agency’s technology org. With Digital Service, you’ll have the opportunity to work on cutting-edge projects and collaborate with talented professionals from various backgrounds. Additionally, you’ll be able to contribute to creating innovative solutions that can positively impact people’s lives.

4 Likes

FTC is hiring right now “technologists” including product managers. The application process is remarkably straightforward for gov’t (not sure how they got away with that) Office of Technology Hiring | Federal Trade Commission

3 Likes

It is based on engineering. It will be more difficult if you lack a CS or engineering degree or prior experience with complex systems. As far as I’m aware, there is no such thing as a “product manager.” A project engineer might be able to give you better recommendations. The fact that the product is physical and frequently extremely complex is the biggest difference. There are many components that are more suited to product management in the tech industry, but ultimately everything is related to the complex system. The general public is not your user base. You exchange 1 million users per month for the ability to enable decisions on contracts worth a billion dollars with few users. You must be familiar with the system and your shit. Roles for products and projects are based on systems engineering and integration and are HIGHLY integrated.

2 Likes

The difference? You will have a pension and you will never be laid off and your annual TC will be lower.

1 Like

Product management in the federal government can differ in several ways from the private sector. Here are some key differences to consider:

1. Organizational Structure: Federal agencies often have complex bureaucratic structures with multiple layers of decision-making and approval processes. This can impact the speed at which decisions are made and the agility of product development efforts compared to the private sector, where decision-making processes can be more streamlined.
  2. Stakeholder Landscape: In the federal government, product managers typically interact with a diverse range of stakeholders, including government officials, subject matter experts, contractors, and end users. These stakeholders often have different priorities, regulatory considerations, and compliance requirements, which can add complexity to product management efforts.
  3. Budgetary and Procurement Processes: Federal agencies typically operate within strict budgetary constraints and procurement regulations. This can impact the product manager’s ability to quickly acquire resources, technologies, and services. Budget cycles and approval processes may also differ from those in the private sector.
  4. Policy and Regulation: Federal agencies operate within a framework of laws, policies, and regulations that govern their activities. Product managers must navigate these requirements and ensure that their products comply with relevant regulations and security standards. This can add additional layers of complexity compared to the private sector.
  5. Long-Term Focus: Federal agencies often have long-term objectives and are focused on providing services to the public or fulfilling government mandates. Product managers in the federal government may need to balance short-term priorities with long-term goals and ensure that their products align with agency missions and strategic objectives.

Despite these differences, there are also similarities between product management in the federal government and the private sector. Both involve understanding user needs, developing product roadmaps, collaborating with cross-functional teams, and managing the product lifecycle. Additionally, some federal agencies have been adopting agile and user-centered practices to enhance product development and delivery, aligning them more closely with private sector approaches.

It’s important to note that the specific experiences and challenges can vary across different federal agencies and the nature of the products or services they develop.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.