Migrating to squarespace

Hi all! We’re deciding if migrating our website to Squarespace is a good thing, so we can save eng resources anytime we have to spin up landing pages and make adjustments all over our website. We have it fully custom right now, which isn’t saying much because nobody is actually paying much attention to it - all our eng is focused on apps and ML. So our current site loads too slowly isn’t optimized for mobile, any effort to get SEO up to speed is terrible, and it’s not really hooked up to much any way other than GA. And we have small marketing efforts monthly, so it’s not like we have crazy AB testing going on, and won’t for at least another 12-18mos. Any thoughts on why rebuilding this in Squarespace might be a BAD idea?

4 Likes

For extra context, we already have our landing pages on Squarespace, because asking eng to spin them up is too slow, and marketing/design is fine handling this so far on their own. So the thought was to bring the rest of the site in.

4 Likes

We have our marketing site in HubSpot and it’s really nice that eng doesn’t have to mess with it. Hubspot also did the initial build for us, which was a big win. That and the CRM integration is helpful too. All that to say - we’ve had good experiences with this pattern.

4 Likes

Check out web flow if you haven’t seen it already! The main benefit over Squarespace is the level of design quality and customizability and performance. It’s not as lego-blocks easy to set up initially, but once you get it set up, it’s easy to iterate on it

4 Likes

FWIW it is super cheap to have someone do the initial replication of an existing site on web flow. There are folks on Fiverr who can do it for like $25 a page, or you can get someone on UpWork for $100 / hour in case you also want to get some design upgrades. If you have a designer on your team, they may even be able to do it themselves.

5 Likes

I second webflow! It is very easy and user-friendly…

4 Likes

Awesome, thank you guys! We briefly toyed w/ the idea of webflow, and we started leaning into squarespace because sometimes a designer isn’t available either, so if a marketer has to go in there, it’s a little more difficult (at least I’m told by our marketers). I haven’t actually used webflow in a way that really takes advantage of the CMS. Is it pretty easy for non-designers to go in there and make changes in your experience?

5 Likes

yeah, it’s super easy to make changes. I was doing most of the website changes at my previous startup www.saltbox.com. In general, I think that doing layout changes (ie. lining up a new section with card panels or a new grid) is challenging as a non-designer, but making changes within an existing layout or making new landing pages off a template is very simple

3 Likes

Just gonna throw it out there, we don’t have the same depth of features as Webflow, but if you want something easy to use and very capable for a Marketing site, I’d recommending checking out PageCloud.

3 Likes

Cool! Thanks @MichaelYoffe. I’ll also check PageCloud @RohitKumar Thanks.

1 Like

One more for the Webflow. In long term it’s definitely the platform, where you’d like to have your site built :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

+1 to Webflow as well! I moved my personal site from Squarespace :arrow_right: Webflow because I wanted to be able to customize everything. Squarespace has some good templates to get you started, but it bugged me when there were quirks I couldn’t fix. Webflow has templates too, but you can customize everything.
It’s also scalable for Marketing sites as long as you have a good style guide set. I’ve built so many marketing sites for clients in Webflow and they’re jamming!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.