How to step up game on discovery, ux research and wireframes

My team is really switching to a product team and we need to step up our game on discovery, ux research and wireframes. I’m curious to know how you do so in your company. Many thanks for your help!

3 Likes

Depending upon what your product is and who your stakeholders are, I’d start by defining the scope of the product, which means what problem will it solve and for whom (if you’ve already validated your solution with your potential users). Once you know the scope, it’s easier to define what and how you’re going to show the information/data on your website/platform. The information architecture is a key thing which often gets missed during the ux journey. This stage will help you design the low fidelity wireframes where you’ll define what kind of components you want and where. At this step, you can involve your users/stakeholders to ask them about their views/opinion on your design structure. Based on the feedback, you could either iterate your designs or start afresh. Once the low fi wireframes are refined, the next step is hi fi designs. Again at this point, users should be involved to get their feedback on the overall colour scheme, component placements, information architecture etc. Based on the feedback, you iterate. And finalised designs are now ready to be built by the dev team. There are several aspects within this linear looking process that may send you back to the previous step. The key is to keep your users closely involved so you have their buy ins. While this may not be possible always, taking a look at a successful competitors websites also help for low budget products where the team may not have the budget to spend boatload of money on UX research.

3 Likes

Wireframes - Figma
Discovery - MIRO boards work well (for opportunity-outcome-solution mapping)
UX-research - EnjoyHQ

2 Likes