Hiring PM for API roadmap

Hey all,
I am likely going to be hiring a PM to just focus on our API roadmap. As this is a net new role for us, I am looking for something to help guide the job description of this… anyone here in this role, or worked with this role that could help me define it a little more? We know the obvious surrounding our new and existing API’s but want to make sure we cover our bases on R&R before going out to hire.

4 Likes

Is your API a product on its own or is it supporting other products? If you don’t mind sharing your draft description, I’d be happy to give some feedback.

3 Likes

@Marco I am in the process of putting that together. I will share when I am there for sure. right now it is doing both - support and on its own.

2 Likes

The goal is to make it more on its own. Isn’t it?

1 Like

Hmm interesting! So you have a role that requires backend / platform experience as well as ideally some zero to one experience? That’s a kind a rare combo! Generally speaking you want to highlight what makes this role unique and why that is interesting. For this role it might be a backend + zero-to-one and talk about why that’s so cool and what opportunities exist. So in my prior role at Dropbox I was looking for several platform PMs to support things like the Dropbox sync engine. Some things we highlighted were:

• Needs to enjoy technical complexity. Not just tolerates it, not just “capable.” We wanted a PM who really enjoyed this stuff
  • Ideally has experience with critical systems at scale. We originally thought of scale as systems with lots of users and lots of data. But eventually we simplified our definition to a system with “tens of millions of users or more,” which was much clearer of a recruiting profile
  • Strong business acumen. We wanted to more directly align our platform investments with business impact. We had great engineering capabilities but we didn’t always do a good job of tying that back into Dropbox as a business and we saw it as PM’s job to help us get better at this.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.