Curious to know how new hires are adjusting to their roles

Seeking a dose of positivity is comprehensible, especially after experiencing layoffs at your company. It’s true; there are many stories about the difficulty of job hunting. However, it would be uplifting to hear about recent successes—those who have secured employment in the past three months or nearby, their industry, and their job title. Such stories can offer a glimmer of hope.
I’m really curious to hear your experiences.

10 Likes

I’m heading into a final interview for a PM position this Wednesday, so fingers crossed.

The guilt is there because I’m already employed with a fantastic team. However, the financial need is pressing due to my spouse’s fluctuating career. Additionally, there seems to be a disconnect in management’s strategic direction, and the sales team is not selling our products, each for their own reasons.

9 Likes

My company recently underwent layoffs, and although I was not impacted, many of my colleagues were. The leadership’s callousness and lack of empathy only reinforced my belief that companies have no regard for their employees.

Remember, you should always prioritize your own interests, because the company will certainly prioritize its own. It may be time to reassess your own career goals and consider seeking opportunities elsewhere that align better with your values and priorities. It’s important to prioritize your own well-being and job satisfaction in order to thrive in your professional life.

Don’t wait for the company to show you loyalty or consideration, take control of your career and seek out a work environment where you are valued and respected. Remember, you deserve to work in a place that appreciates your contributions and supports your growth and development. Don’t settle for a toxic work environment, explore your options and find a company that truly values its employees. Your career success and happiness should be a top priority, so don’t hesitate to make a change if necessary.

9 Likes

This open communication can also help identify any potential issues early on, allowing for quick resolution and a smoother integration process for new hires. It is important for companies to regularly check in with employees to ensure they are settling in well and addressing any concerns that may arise. Additionally, providing clear job descriptions and setting realistic goals can help set the stage for a successful onboarding process. Regular check-ins and feedback sessions can also help address any issues early on and ensure a smooth transition for new hires.

8 Likes

The prospect of trading a familiar situation (my current job offers excellent benefits) for an uncertain one is daunting. If my salary were more competitive, I would feel less inclined to consider leaving. However, my mental and emotional well-being are ultimately more important than any salary or benefit. I owe it to myself to seek out a work environment that uplifts and inspires me rather than drains and diminishes me. I deserve to feel fulfilled and appreciated in my career, and I will not settle for anything less. It may be intimidating to make a change, but the potential for growth and happiness far outweighs any temporary uncertainties. I am worth more than what my current job offers, and I am ready to find a company that truly values and supports me.

7 Likes

I would say, consider reaching out to your current employer to discuss the possibility of a salary increase or other benefits that would make you feel more valued. If they are unable to meet your needs, it may be time to start exploring other opportunities that align better with your career goals and values. Remember, your worth as an employee should not be underestimated.

It is important to advocate for yourself and take control of your own career path. By seeking out new opportunities that align with your values and goals, you are taking a proactive step towards achieving long-term satisfaction and fulfillment in your professional life. Don’t be afraid to take that leap of faith and pursue a change that will ultimately lead to greater success and happiness. Your worth is invaluable, and it is important to recognize and prioritize that in your career decisions.

7 Likes

Currently, we are experiencing a hiring freeze, so unfortunately, no new positions are available. Additionally, there is concern about how this may affect team morale.

6 Likes

It is important to stay informed about any updates regarding the hiring freeze and to continue networking and building your skills in the meantime. Remember that challenges like this can also present opportunities for growth and development within your current role. Keep a positive attitude and remain open to new possibilities that may arise in the future.

By staying proactive and adaptable during this time, you can position yourself to be ready for any opportunities that do come up once the hiring freeze is lifted. In the meantime, focus on excelling in your current role and seek out ways to contribute to team morale and productivity.

Keep communication open with your colleagues and supervisors, and continue to demonstrate your value to the organization. By approaching this situation with a proactive and positive mindset, you can navigate through this challenging time and emerge even stronger in your career.

5 Likes

Thankfully I can add some good news here! Was laid off back in May and just signed an offer letter on Monday! It was a brutal 8 months, lots of frustration and let downs but finally got there.

One mistake I made was being really picky early on in my search (last may/june). I underestimated how competitive and saturated the market was and was only targeting very specific companies and and trying to take a step up in my career. The last few months I let myself be okay with making a lateral move or step down, and found more success. For me, I realized it was more important to just be working somewhere again, making an impact somewhere, and have patience to move back up again when things calm down.

Luckily, I was able to find a spot where the people seem incredibly nice and it’s a more mature product (having been in startups most my career). So i’m going to take the opportunity to work in a lower stress environment, work on my skills, and take things as they come.

My only advice on the mental side would be to not get your hopes up for any opportunity. I got to 6 final rounds where I was convinced I had the job, only to get a generic “we’re moving forward with candidates who are a stronger fit”. The roller coaster of emotions really did a number on me mentally. So, stay confident in what you bring, but don’t get too attached to one job or get your hopes too high for anything. Just try and stay positive (but let your frustration out when you need to) and know something will come.

I know how mentally agonizing the process can be, so I’m more than happy to chat with anyone that needs it.

4 Likes

The advice on emotional attachment is invaluable. People often build castles in the sky as they read through a job description, which can be detrimental to mental health. It’s important to maintain a healthy balance between optimism and realism during the job search process. Stay grounded and focus on the present moment rather than getting lost in future possibilities. It’s important to maintain a healthy balance between hope and realism as you navigate the job search process. Remember to focus on your qualifications and strengths rather than getting caught up in the potential outcomes. This approach will help you navigate the ups and downs with a clear mind and a positive attitude.

4 Likes

Conversely, I found it quite beneficial to convey my strong interest in the job to the hiring manager and to emphasize that it was my preferred choice. It was certainly beyond my comfort zone, but articulating why you desire the position and demonstrating enthusiasm can provide an advantage. Although it sometimes felt disingenuous when my feelings were not wholehearted, there are moments when one must prioritize their own best interests.

3 Likes

Indeed, it’s frustrating when a job isn’t what it seems. I managed to secure a phone screening for a position I believed I was ideal for, only to discover they weren’t truly hiring for that role but rather seeking someone willing to take a lesser title and, presumably, less pay. There are deceptive job postings aimed at eliminating less experienced candidates, and companies aren’t transparent about the positions they genuinely intend to fill.

This experience made me realize the importance of doing thorough research on a company before applying, as well as being prepared to ask tough questions during the interview process. It also reinforced the idea that sometimes we need to advocate for ourselves and be willing to walk away from opportunities that aren’t a good fit. Despite the disappointment, I remained determined to find a role that aligned with my skills and career goals, even if it meant facing more setbacks along the way.

2 Likes

Undoubtedly, this is wise advice.

I was disappointed so many times throughout my journey since I had high expectations based on incredibly positive interview comments. Hell, I thought everything was set when the HM at a big corporation, you’ve all heard such positive reviews. After I completed the procedure, they began reviewing my references. The recruiter informed me they had discovered a better candidate on our planned call, which I had assumed would be the verbal offer. devastated.

1 Like