Being a Product Manager, Product Owner & a Scrum Master at the same time

Hmm… Now this is scary.

2 Likes

I would try to make the company understand the value and the amount of job required, this takes some time but if you prove it and if you have resources you will end up having one more person to help you with your job.

2 Likes

Because strangely the job description never once asked for a scrum master, I feel they threw that in there last minute.

2 Likes

When I got into my first job as product intern (later got hired as po and then PM (with the PO job included) the company didn’t believe in scrum masters and agile coaches. But it was impossible to bring user value because the team was a mess, so I had to start from it. If you want, we can talk more about it (I’m not a certified agilist, scrum master or those things, but i really like agility and learned a lot with other agile coaches (when the company finally accepted that they were needed)).

Don’t be scared, embrace the challenge, work smart. Be conscious about your role and job. It’s very hard but with patience you will start planning the medium and long term better that is going to help you get out of this situation.

2 Likes

People tend to do that. They like taking advantage. :frowning: I told them specifically when I’m working that I’m individual contributor so when they pull in terms like Project Manager at me, I tell them specifically what I was in for — if they’re bullies, they try harder.

They would love for me to be dev, designer, product manager and possibly CEO all at once. I have more education and experience than the current product manager, which is why they are extra pushy at me, but I just end up pushing back and allowing the person to learn — I have standards but know when people are learning.

I tell them about what’s more important at what times in the short term. But what I’m seeing is that you need another hire to help out and they’re being cheap on you.

I would be looking at trying to make a case for getting someone to help instead of you wearing too many hats that they pushed onto you.

I dodged Project Management by saying I’m crap with budgets and scheduling :slight_smile: It is an indirect way of saying “Sorry, but no.” Had a CIO attempt it.

1 Like

Lol. I’m worried about how to clear the misunderstanding. Under one of my titles, I wrote it all and one of the persons is assuming it’s all done at the same time! Argh. I try to be polite and obliging in the start.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.